Some simple lifestyle strategies you can incorporate into your daily life:
- Be active: At least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each day
- Take control of your cholesterol, blood pressure and weight
- Eat smart: Reduce consumption of simple sugars that are found in soda, candy and sugary desserts, eat a) vegetables and fruits, b) unrefined fiber-rich whole-grain foods and c) fish twice a week
- Get good Zs: Sleep 7-9 hours/night
- Laugh more: Laughing has been proven to reduce stress and lower blood pressure
To learn more about lifestyle strategies to reduce your risk of heart disease, visit the American Heart Association site here.